This article is an attempt at describing the history and achievements of one of the theological seminaries belonging to a group of so called free churches, namely, the Bible School/Gdansk Bible Institute. The educational center was founded and operated as a branch of the East European Mission of the American Assemblies of God in Free City of Gdansk during the interwar period.
The Seminary operated for eight years (with two-year break), between 1930 and 1933 as the Bible School and from 1935 to 1938 as the Bible Institute. Its establishment was inspired by Superintendent Gustav H. Schmidt and it was developed due to the support of Superintendent Nicholas Nikoloffov.
Program of the seminary consisted of short one or two term bible courses, which at the end of its existence developed into four term courses. The main aim of the school was to help both arising Pentecostal movement and wider evangelical community in training their leaders for preaching and pastoral ministry. An important element of the school activity was straightening and systematizing doctrinal issues. Special attention was paid to teaching English and the methods employed are considered innovatory.
Although the existence of the Institute was just a short episode in the history of Polish Pentecostal movement, many graduates of the school in Gdansk (there were over 500 altogether) played significant role in the subsequent history of the movement.